[mythtv-users] problem with Greek characters in storage group paths

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 15:59:45 UTC 2010

Hi.

I decided to change my old-ish debian lenny setup (my main backend + frontend) to openSuSE 11.2, so that it's consistent with the other computers at home. Boy, is this a bumpy ride!!

Luckily, I am using a separate HD, so the previous installation isn't destroyed and I can experiment with the new setup until I have perfected it.

The main problem I am facing now, is that I can't get the new backend to scan the storage group Videos for ... videos. It hangs at 0% for hours. "Top" shows high cpu usage for mysql and mythbackend, but no results.

The new setup is identical in nfs mounts, /myth location and LANG settings to the old debian one. Pointing the Videos storage group to a full-Ascii-path subfolder of the main folder succeeds in filling up with films. But when in mythtv-setup I point it directly to a Greek characters folder, upon pressing Enter I get a strange translation:
Instead of
/myth/video/storage/Παιδικά/

I get

/myth/video/storage/Παιδικά/

(I wish I could say it's Greek to me, but... I think it just looks Greek to you ;)

The entry stored in mythconverg is the correct one (I checked with phpmyadmin) but what I get on the screen is wrong. And mythtv-setup won't exit, complaining that the strange folder doesn't exist.

The output of the locale command is

LANG=el_GR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="el_GR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

on all systems (debian lenny, opensuse 11.2 and another opensuse 11.2 which is the main storage server).

At this point I must mention that I tried just to import a mythconverg dump in the new system (even the host name is the same) but the mythbackend process kept dying on me a few seconds after it started). So I started with a blank db, etc.

Is this a misconfiguration on my part?

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Yianni