[mythtv-users] mplayer digital vs. mythtv digital

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jul 25 14:23:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:04:04AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:

> >>     Which is not a lot really given everything else going on. This isn't a
> >> very good thing to try and throw out as an excuse.
> >>

> > Just looking for what might be different between mplayer and Myth playing the file, if you're close to the edge, anything
> > might make a difference.
> >
> > It's not an excuse, Myth should play it fine, just looking for a reason.
>
> they both uses different versions of the underlying ffmpeg code too
> probably. The particular station might have a higher bitrate, just
> taking it over the edge of the machine's capabilities. There maybe a
> higher than usual number of errors in the stream.

    The internal player is much less tolerant of stream errors. I find myself
quite often using an external player to deal with some recording that has any
minor glitches in it. The internal player tends to crash when it plays a less
than pristine OTA recording.

    It would be handy if I could run mythavtest without connecting to a working
backend. I've built the new release. I just haven't installed it yet. It would
be very cool if I could test out my known issues before doing the big bang.

[deletia]