[mythtv-users] Reliability of USB capture cards

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Sun Jul 25 16:34:29 UTC 2010

On 25/07/2010 10:50, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Myth 0.23 with a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T, both tuners configured
> and both tuners set to record a maximum of two recordings at a time with a
> 750mS delay on tuning.
>
> Once or twice a week, I get zero byte recordings. Powering the Myth box
> off and on again cures this. I've read elsewhere on this mailing list that
> USB tuners can be temperamental. For those that are unaware, this
> particular card is a PCI card but it presents each tuner as a USB device.
>
> Is there anything I can do to improve the reliability of this card?
>
> Would I be better off replacing it and, if so, any suggestions for a DVB-T
> dual tuner?

Do any of the tuners have "Use DVB card for active EIT scan" set in
mythtv-setup?

I /used/ to have this problem with this card where I had to reboot the
machine every few days.  This was with just one dual tuner card and 2
"max recordings" on each tuner.  I didn't change any of the other
delay/timeout settings from the defaults.

Since turning the "Use DVB card for active EIT scan" setting off, I
haven't had to reboot the machine for anything other than kernel
updates.  And the machine now has two of these cards (i.e. a total of 4
real tuners) each with 5 max recordings.

Regards,
Jason