[mythtv-users] Reliability of USB capture cards

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Sun Jul 25 19:55:31 UTC 2010

On 25/07/2010 19:35, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:34:29 +0100, lists at purplish-monkey.com said:
>> Do any of the tuners have "Use DVB card for active EIT scan" set in
>> mythtv-setup?
>
> Yes, they both do, although I've just turned it off. Should it be off on
> both?

Its a while since I changed anything (I think it was back just before
0.22 was released) so I don't know whether you may get different results
now.

However at the time I definitely tried only having one tuner with active
EIT, only having one virtual tuner on that tuner, and also adding a
tuning delay but none of these made a noticeable difference to the
length of time before I had to reboot again.

There were some other things I found on various web pages that I tried
too (I can't remember the details now), but in the end the only thing
that worked reliably for me was to turn it off *on all tuners*.

 > If so, presumably I can no longer use EIT information?

It means Myth won't continuously retrieve the EIT data when the tuner is
not use recording/watching live TV (i.e. when the card would otherwise
be idle).

I'm in the UK using the Radio Times* xmltv feed so I don't have to use
EIT.

However IIRC Myth can still pick up the EIT data when its recording but
then if you don't record frequently you won't pick up new data very often.

In the worst case the length of time between recordings may be longer
than the number hours or days that EIT provides in your region causing
your listings to run out.  Therefore you miss future recordings because
Myth doesn't have any data, and if it doesn't record you don't get any
more EIT data and therefore you don't record anything again ... and so on.

* other listings are available ;-)

Regards,
Jason