[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

Jessica Perry Hekman jphekman at arborius.net
Mon Jul 26 14:53:11 UTC 2010

Hi, all. I hope it is OK to post this question here. I have posted to
Ubuntu forums and to Nvidia forums, and gotten no answer either place. I
am at my wits' end as to how to solve this problem so that I can use
MythTV.

I'm trying to get my desktop to output to my TV as a second display (for
MythTV viewing).

OS: Ubuntu 9.04
Graphics card: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE]

I have run an s-video cable from the computer to the TV. I tested the
cable and it does work, and the TV does accept s-video in (from my TiVo)
successfully.

As root, I ran nvidia-settings -> X Server Display Configuration. My
regular monitor shows up (with a specified resolution), and TV-0, which
is marked "(disabled)" where the resolution should be.

Select "TV-0", "configure...", "TwinView." Resolution set to "Auto",
Position set to "Right-of". Hit "apply". Get error: "Failed to set
MetaMode(1) 'CRT-0: 1280x1024 @1280x1024 +0+0, TV-0: nvidia-auto-select
@1024x768 +1280+0' (Mode 2304x1024, id: 50) on X screen 0 \n Would you
like to remove this MetaMode?" I have tried choosing both "yes" and
"no," and the message goes away, and the TV-0 box is now no longer
"disabled," but my TV still doesn't have any picture coming from the
computer.

I have also tried setting "configuration" to "separate X screen" instead
of "TwinView," and the "position" to "Clones" instead of "Right of".
Still no picture to the TV.

In all cases, I have of course saved the settings to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and restarted X.

I do think something is getting through to the TV because when I reboot
I see a flicker, but otherwise I have gotten no signal at all to it.

Everything I read online suggests that what I am doing should work. Does
anyone have any suggestions for me? Is there some weird gotcha I'm
missing?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Jessica