[mythtv-users] Alternative to Mac Mini?

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Mon Jul 26 15:24:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Ken Mandelberg <km [at] mathcs> wrote:
> In another thread it was suggested that the Mac Mini was overpriced as a
> Myth frontend/backend. I want something with a similar footprint.
>
> The atom/ion2 boxes won't do. As a backend I need firewire to get input
from
> a cablebox and the boxes I've seen don't have it. I also want enough cpu
> do efficient commercial marking, and the atom's are too slow.
>
> Is there really a box with similar size to a Mac Mini that is at least a
> core2/nivida and cheaper (or more powerful).

If you are willing to go for a slightly larger case, and are up to the
challenge, then I would recommend you build your own.

You could do something like this (prices are in US looking at
                                  components from newegg.com):

- uATX case with power supply & fan  - $50
- low-end uATX motherboard           - $50
- 2.4 ghz dual-core AMD or Intel CPU - $50
- 2 GB RAM                           - $50
- 500GB hard disk drive              - $50
- VDPAU-compatible video card        - $45
- Firewire card                      - $10
- Wireless network card              - $15

Total:                               - $320

You still need to add a TV Tuner card and remote control or keyboard, same
as you would with Mac Mini. You also have lots of budget to upgrade the case
or other components, and still come in way under the Mac Mini price.

If you go this route, check on-line reviews carefully, and do lots of
Googling to verify compatibility of your components with each other, and
with Linux and MythTV.

Dave