[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 26 16:44:51 UTC 2010

Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
> Hi, all. I hope it is OK to post this question here. I have posted to
> Ubuntu forums and to Nvidia forums, and gotten no answer either place. I
> am at my wits' end as to how to solve this problem so that I can use
> MythTV.
>
> I'm trying to get my desktop to output to my TV as a second display (for
> MythTV viewing).
>
> Thank you for any help you can give!
>
> Jessica

"Automagic" is wonderful, when it works.
May be time to try a manual xorg.conf.
I've reused the same xorg.conf since Dapper days, rather than fight with
reconfiguring each time I upgrade. Currently 10.04 with nvidia compiled
from source and working fine.

I've always used two xscreens while working on MythTV so I can work from
the LCD and look over at the TV to see the result.
Never tried TwinView so I have no idea how to make it work.

My (ancient pos tube) TV is connected via Component and I have to use
some custom Options to make it work.
<http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/xorg.conf.dapper.txt>
Some Options are deprecated now and x simply ignores them.
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see which are ignored.

Once I have everything working, I comment out the LCD portions of the
xorg.conf. Once I'm satisfied it's stable with just the TV, I remove all
the commented stuff to tidy up the xorg.conf.
<http://home.pacbell.net/clayt/xorg.conf.txt>
(this is an older version. I've since trimmed out unused resolutions and
depreciated options)

When setting up dual xscreens on a new frontend (dual LCDs), I ran
nvidia-settings to get a baseline xorg.conf, that didn't work, then add
monitor specific info (resolution, refresh, etc.) to each screen until
it does.

iirc, 9.04 has that absolutely hateful 'failsafe' x that automatically
falls back to a default lo res screen if the custom xorg.conf doesn't
work. Impossible to work with so I disable it.
All the tweaking is done from a terminal so you have to be handy with a
non GUI editor like vi.