[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast local QAM - would they still send signal if I cancel?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 26 19:25:55 UTC 2010

On Monday, July 26, 2010 01:17:34 pm mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> I don't think this is a dumb question, it's certainly not one that Comcast
> would answer...
>
> Today I receive my local stations over QAM to my HDHR as delivered by my
> Comcast subscription.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone actually knows (first hand) if Comcast kills your
> signal completely or simply backs you down to "locals only" (like an
> antenna") if you completely cancel your account.  I envision that it's more
> work for them to send a truck to kill the signal completely than it is for
> some support agent to back down my subscription and stop billing.

If you "completely cancel" your account it would depend on a lot of things, but I think you need to assume they would
disconnect your drop at the pole, pedestal or multi-box (if you're in a multiple-occupancy building).

Whether they physically do so depends on how busy they are, if they feel like it, how honest the installer who gets the
D/C order might be, and many other things, different systems, even if they are all Comcast, have different policies on such
things.

But again, you need to plan for the worst, which would be a complete disconnect of all RF to your home.

> Basically I'm wrestling with a decision to put up an HD antenna of my own
> or not... if there's a decent chance that Comcast would keep feeding me the
> locals, I'd love to know.  Of course, YMMV will be in everyone's response -
> I understand.

I guess that's what I'm saying, YMMV, but there's really no way to know without trying it.

Some systems "audit" disconnected accounts at intervals from a few weeks to years, depends on the system and what their
experience is with such things.