[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast local QAM - would they still send signal if I cancel?

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:26:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM, <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:

> I don't think this is a dumb question, it's certainly not one that Comcast
> would answer...
>
> Today I receive my local stations over QAM to my HDHR as delivered by my
> Comcast subscription.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone actually knows (first hand) if Comcast kills your
> signal completely or simply backs you down to "locals only" (like an
> antenna") if you completely cancel your account.  I envision that it's more
> work for them to send a truck to kill the signal completely than it is for
> some support agent to back down my subscription and stop billing.
>
> Basically I'm wrestling with a decision to put up an HD antenna of my own
> or not... if there's a decent chance that Comcast would keep feeding me the
> locals, I'd love to know.  Of course, YMMV will be in everyone's response -
> I understand.

When we canceled 2 months ago, they cut off the signal completely (a couple
weeks later).  I think the taps in the small green post outside our house
might be addressable/switchable remotely, because their truck hadn't come
into our gated motor court where the post is that day (they had been there
the week before; who knows).

If they don't do so right away, you can guarantee that they will clean it up
someday, right when you're about to sit down and watch the big game or
something.  So better to just put up the antenna now.

It's freeing to know that I'm $900 a year less poor, and don't have to mess
with piles of converters, DTAs, IR blasters and the like...

Josh