[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast local QAM - would they still send signal if I cancel?

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Jul 26 19:42:03 UTC 2010

On 07/26/2010 02:17 PM, mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> I don't think this is a dumb question, it's certainly not one that Comcast
> would answer...
>
> Today I receive my local stations over QAM to my HDHR as delivered by my
> Comcast subscription.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone actually knows (first hand) if Comcast kills your
> signal completely or simply backs you down to "locals only" (like an
> antenna") if you completely cancel your account.  I envision that it's more
> work for them to send a truck to kill the signal completely than it is for
> some support agent to back down my subscription and stop billing.
>
> Basically I'm wrestling with a decision to put up an HD antenna of my own
> or not... if there's a decent chance that Comcast would keep feeding me the
> locals, I'd love to know.  Of course, YMMV will be in everyone's response -
> I understand.

I do not know about Comcast, but I think I know what Time Warner would do. I had
TW's broadband data service long before I started their TV offering. At that
point, they had a filter that passed data but blocked TV. When I got TV, they
replaced that filter and told their end of the data link about the new filter.
Any cancellations would lead to a suitable filter change at the box in the back
yard.