[mythtv-users] Now legal to decrypt DVDs?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 20:37:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> At 15:18 -0400 26/7/10, Greg wrote:
>>
>> I found this article today. It's a bit vague...
>>

>> http://www.betanews.com/article/DMCA-revised-unlocking-jailbreaking-phones-ebook-texttospeech-deemed-fair-use/1280166064
>
> Go read the statement linked to from the article - it's not vague at all. On
> DVDs it says :
>
>> (1)  Motion pictures on DVDs that are lawfully made and acquired and that
>> are protected by the Content Scrambling System when circumvention is
>> accomplished solely in order to accomplish the incorporation of short
>> portions of motion pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or
>> comment, and where the person engaging in circumvention believes and has
>> reasonable grounds for believing that circumvention is necessary to fulfill
>> the purpose of the use in the following instances:
>> (i) Educational uses by college and university professors and by college
>> and university film and media studies students;
>> (ii) Documentary filmmaking;
>> (iii) Noncommercial videos
>
> So it's only short excerpts, and only for educational or criticism.

But it means that the tools themselves will become legal. Previous
MPAA argument was that there is no legitimate reason to decrypt DVD,
therefore any tool which does it should be illegal. Now there is a
legitimate reason to produce a DVD decryptor, to enable educational
uses.

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com