[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast local QAM - would they still send signal if I cancel?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jul 26 20:55:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM, <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>

>> Basically I'm wrestling with a decision to put up an HD antenna of my own
>> or not... if there's a decent chance that Comcast would keep feeding me
>> the
>> locals, I'd love to know.  Of course, YMMV will be in everyone's response
>> -
>> I understand.
>>

> Slightly off-topic, but for me anyway multi-rec with the HDHR is very
> useful as comcast bundles different networks together, but with an antenna
> it would be pretty much useless.
>
> You might also keep in mind the fact that Comcast's ability to put more
content in a single channel is due to their practice of degrading the
quality of said content.  I have seen the difference between OTA and Cable,
and it is very noticeable.

Sure you might miss being able to record several channels at once from each
tuner in your HDHR, but you will have fewer channels and less content to
concern yourself with anyway.

I switched to OTA over a year ago, and other than CNN, I miss nothing.
Sure, I have fewer medical and police drama's to choose from, but so what!
I actually have found that the amount of content I consume has increased
since I switched to OTA as I now spend more money renting DVD's or seeing
more movies on the big screen.