[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast local QAM - would they still send signal if I cancel?

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 21:06:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM, <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Basically I'm wrestling with a decision to put up an HD antenna of my own
>>> or not... if there's a decent chance that Comcast would keep feeding me
>>> the
>>> locals, I'd love to know.  Of course, YMMV will be in everyone's response
>>> -
>>> I understand.
>>>

>> Slightly off-topic, but for me anyway multi-rec with the HDHR is very
>> useful as comcast bundles different networks together, but with an antenna
>> it would be pretty much useless.
>>
>> You might also keep in mind the fact that Comcast's ability to put more
> content in a single channel is due to their practice of degrading the
> quality of said content.  I have seen the difference between OTA and Cable,
> and it is very noticeable.

And for a year's worth of limited cable (~$12*12=$144), you can get another
HDHR for 2 more tuners :-)

It all comes down to whether you can get a good signal on all of the local
channels; I was able to get most channels with rabbit ears in the living
room, and all of them perfectly with an antenna in the attic.

Josh