[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast local QAM - would they still send signal if I cancel?

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Mon Jul 26 21:10:40 UTC 2010

On 07/26/2010 01:55 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com
> <mailto:james.orr7 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM, <mythtv at derdev.com
>     <mailto:mythtv at derdev.com>> wrote:
>

>         Basically I'm wrestling with a decision to put up an HD antenna
>         of my own
>         or not... if there's a decent chance that Comcast would keep
>         feeding me the
>         locals, I'd love to know.  Of course, YMMV will be in everyone's
>         response -
>         I understand.
>

>     Slightly off-topic, but for me anyway multi-rec with the HDHR is
>     very useful as comcast bundles different networks together, but with
>     an antenna it would be pretty much useless.
>
> You might also keep in mind the fact that Comcast's ability to put more
> content in a single channel is due to their practice of degrading the
> quality of said content.  I have seen the difference between OTA and
> Cable, and it is very noticeable.

This is only partly true. Since cable has a higher signal to noise ratio than OTA, they can use QAM256 and get more data through
the link than 8VSB, so potentially they could send 2 HD signals in the same bandwidth that would allow only one for 8VSB at
about the same quality.

But then comcast goes and tries to cram 3 HD signals in that bandwidth.