[mythtv-users] Alternative to Mac Mini?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 27 03:21:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 08:24:38AM -0700, David Lasker wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Ken Mandelberg <km [at] mathcs> wrote:
>> > In another thread it was suggested that the Mac Mini was overpriced as a
>> > Myth frontend/backend. I want something with a similar footprint.
>> >
>> > The atom/ion2 boxes won't do. As a backend I need firewire to get input
>> from
>> > a cablebox and the boxes I've seen don't have it. I also want enough cpu
>> > do efficient commercial marking, and the atom's are too slow.
>> >
>> > Is there really a box with similar size to a Mac Mini that is at least a
>> > core2/nivida and cheaper (or more powerful).
>>
>> If you are willing to go for a slightly larger case, and are up to the
>> challenge, then I would recommend you build your own.
>
>    There are C2D + nv9x00 based systems sold by Linux system vendors
> like System76.

The only thing I see from System76 even remotely close
form-factor-wise that isn't an ion has intel graphics and no firewire,
but costs basically the same amount as a new mac mini, when the two
are configured similarly (sub-par graphics and lack of firewire
aside).

Seriously, what, in a similar form-factor, besides the Dell Studio
Hybrid and Dell Zino HD (neither of which has nvidia graphics)
actually comes close to competing with the new mac mini? If ATI
graphics didn't blow chunks, the Zino would be interesting, though I'm
not sure an athlon neo is any better than an intel atom.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com