[mythtv-users] MythMusic interface

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 15:08:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Code is available at Sourceforge through SVN: svn co
> https://mythsqueezebox.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mythsqueezebox
> mythsqueezebox (the code that is "downloaded" through the main page is
> old and does not work with MythTV >= 0.22).

I can confirm the MythSqueezeBox2 plugin is working in 0.23. My
preferred theme is broken for it, of course, but I'm working on
that.... slowly...

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Squeeze certainly sounds like a good option except for that fact that
> you can't control it from a remote control. One of the many beauties
> of MythTV is that you can contorl the whole thing with a remote. It's
> a shame to have to start digging out a keyboard to manage music.

See George Galt's project (above) that combines the
couch-potato-awesomeness that is MythTV and the organized-audiophile's
dream project SqueezeServer. Requires separate installation and
configuration of the server software (SlimDevices/Logitech provide a
few different repositories) but George's plugin will give you the
required clients for playback on your choosen Myth frontend allowing
full control from your remote and your couch. His client registers
with the server so you can control from TV remote, web interface or
any other Squeeze interface (such as SqueezePlay or hardware
interfaces). The plugin interface can also control multiple squeeze
frontends (hardware or software). The SqueezeServer web interface is
like having mythweb for your audio collection.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I think SquuezePlay, the frontend GUI for squeeze, allows for lirc
> control (at least I know one of the programs I downloaded came with an
> .lircrc file).  So I do believe it is possible to use a remote.  My
> main point is that it is very difficult to use a remote when you are
> trying to play a particular song, album, or artist and you have many
> thousand titles of music.

SqueezePlay looks like it could be an interesting option as well but
I'm yet to get a working client in Linux. Currently the background
foobars and the menus don't refresh properly with Debian AMD64 (daily
tars or .debs of 7.6). However, the audio works if I successfully
navigate to the music directory!