[mythtv-users] continue recording after ota signal loss

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 15:55:04 UTC 2010

On 7/27/2010 5:00 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>> >  Hi All:
>> >
>> >  I am running mythbuntu 10.04 trunk.
>> >  I get my tv ota.  Sometimes I lose signal.  If the signal is lost for only a
>> >  few seconds, myth will continue recording the show I have scheduled to
>> >  record.  If the signal loss is longer, maybe fifteen seconds? myth will stop
>> >  recording, even if the signal re appears a minute later.
>> >  Is there anyway to get around this?  Some way to increase the "wait time"?
>> >  I assume this is directly related to the video buffer?
>> >  Thanks.
>> >
> I have a similar issue: due to marginal reception recordings will
> sometimes fail to start - and sadly myth has no tolerance or retry for
> bad reception.
> (Redundant post warning: yes, this post is redundant. But at least
> there's more than one of us.)

I am still running 0.21-fixes on mythbuntu 8.10 and see something a bit
different (HDHR tuners).  If there is no signal at all during the
scheduled recording time, the recording never stops.  Myth keeps on
trying to record the program long past the scheduled end time.  I have
to kill (delete) the recording manually to get Myth to stop, or if there
is another scheduled recording on the same channel, then that will also
stop the previous one.  The recording file is blank, but that is
expected.  I have observed that if there is signal when the recording
starts, and some loss during the recording, the recording completes
normally.  I don't have any measure on how long of a signal loss is
tolerated though.

On a related issue, Myth tends to choke on playback of recordings that
experienced some signal loss/corruption.  Myth sometimes gets past it,
and sometimes dies.  It just depends on the nature of the signal
loss/corruption.  Perhaps 0.23/0.24 is better about this.  I also
understand from reading this list that VDPAU tolerates signal corruption
even less than Myth's internal player does.

Just this past weekend, I was watching a recording as I was recording it
(chasing playback) and I had caught up to the recording, so I was only a
couple of seconds behind real time.  All of a sudden, the playback
stopped and dumped me out to the recording list, but the recording was
still going.  I restarted the playback and jumped to where it had dumped
me out, and there appeared to be some kind of temporary signal
loss/corruption.  I then switched to watching live on my TV tuner.  The
recording completed normally.  Is it possible that the recording is
completing, but you are having problems with Myth playing back the
recording?  Have you tried playing the recording with another external
player (VLC, mplayer)?

Jay