[mythtv-users] 16:9 and european sdtv WSS signal

Roger Mårtensson roger.martensson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:13:33 UTC 2010

  Hi!

Sorry for the late answer. A vacation poped up and hit me in my back
draging me around sweden for a week. Not that I complained. :)

Over to your comments.

Nick Morrott skrev 2010-07-20 19:30:
> 2010/7/18 Roger Mårtensson<roger.martensson at gmail.com>:
>>   Hi!
>>
>> I have an issue or maybe two and I wonder if it's implemented or not and if
>> it is a know problem.
>>
>> First the WSS signal. I wonder if the internal player is sensitive to the
>> WSS(widescreen) signal? We have a analogue cable the is sending this signal
>> and my TV is acting on it but I can't see myth doing anything about it.
> Roger,
>
> Can you watch a file recorded with WSS active in a different viewer
> (mplayer/xine/etc) and have the aspect ratio change as you would
> expect it to?
>
> I record so little analogue video now with my PVR-x50 cards - and that
> I do record is almost all in widescreen - that I have 'forced' the
> video to be recorded with the widescreen flag on. If it does record
> anything that is 4:3, I can adjust the AR during playback.

Will do. I will probably take some time(European championchips on TV so
my wife is keeping me away from the remote :)).

Our channels mostly send in 16:9 but some older content isn't
"converted" to 16:9 by adding artificial black borders. Will install
Xine and do some more testing.

>> The second problem I see is when I try to change the aspect ratio from 4:3
>> to 16:9(default it Off) i notice that is changing the size of the picture
>> but only the width. The height stays the same.
> Standard definition analogue PAL video is typically recorded as
> 720x576 for both 4:3 and 16:9 content. The amount of _horizontal_
> stretching determines whether the video is displayed in widescreen or
> not, so I think what you are seeing is normal.
Same as above will do some more testing. I think I'm confusing things
and concepts here. I think when I mean "switch to 16:9" I actually want
the image to fill the whole screen. When I think about it that should
not happen just by changing the aspect ratio.
Is there a way to actually "fill out" automatically? I see that myth
does this correct with my digitial broadcasts.