[mythtv-users] Problems correcting overscan: Setup/Appearance/Screen Settings are ignored

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Tue Jul 27 18:46:28 UTC 2010

I am trying unsuccessfully to shrink the MythTV GUI to correct for overscan,
while keeping the playback image full size. This is my setup:

- Mythbuntu 0.23+fixes 24158 on Ubuntu 10.04
- Intel DG43GT motherboard with Intel G43/X4500 on-board display controller
- Panasonic Viera 1080P Plasma TV, circa 1998, connected with HDMI

I have 2 problems:

a)  Changing the GUI X or Y offset has no effect. I tried this with the GUI
height and width shrunk a bit, and with "Use window border" both checked and
unchecked.

b) I can shrink the GUI display from the lower-right corner by reducing GUI
height and width. But unchecking "Use GUI size for TV playback" has no
effect; the TV playback image is always shrunk as well.

I have not set up any modelines, I am just using EDID. xrandr --prop returns
what looks like normal stuff:

dave at mythtv:~$ xrandr --prop
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
698mm x 392mm
	EDID:
		00ffffffffffff0034a97ca001010101
		00120103800000780adaffa3584aa229
		17494b00000001010101010101010101
		010101010101023a801871382d40582c
		4500ba882100001e011d8018711c1620
		582c2500ba882100009e000000fc0050
		616e61736f6e69632d54560a000000fd
		00173d0f440f000a20202020202001ff
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1280x720       60.0
   720x480        59.9
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Am I doing something dumb, or is this a limitation of the Intel on-board
graphics?

Thanks for the help!

Dave