[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Jul 27 19:00:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> I've never known Linus to push hardware, at least not since the 90s when he
> recommended the Alpha CPU, and we all know how
> that turned out in the end.

Alpha was quite good at the time. Too bad they faded into obscurity. They
even got Windows support in some versions of NT.

As for SSD, I agree with Linus there as well. Intel SSDs are quite good. I'd
also run an OCZ Vertex 2. Small random writes kill SSDs, and so the people
that make them don't like to publish those numbers. Random reads are super
fast, and streaming I/O is fine (as it is with an HDD). But those random
writes hurt. TRIM and other tech has helped a LOT, though I'm not 100% sure
of support for that in Linux as I haven't run any SSDs in Linux. I'm sure if
it helps Linux, it will find it's way into the kernel drivers.