[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jul 27 19:16:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> I'm seeing 40GB SSDs for around $100.
>>
>> 40GB is enough for an OS and Myth itself (not video storage).
>>
>> So far I can't see anything that would justify using an SSD, but perhaps
>> someone else can.
>
> I doubt you'll find a good justification, mythtv simply won't see much, if
> any, benefit running on an SSD.

I'd have to disagree here.  I had originally installed my myth system
on 32-bit hardware and later replace it with a 64-bit CPU without
upgrading the OS.  When I finally decided to go 64-bit on the software
side, it seemed easiest to install onto a new drive.  I got a 30GB OCZ
Vertex Turbo SSD to hold the OS and mysql database, but mounted /home,
/var/lib/myth*, and a bunch of other such stuff from my existing
magnetic disk.

It's working well.  It boots *much* faster and (while I haven't done
any explicit benchmarks), stuff that does random reads on the database
(e.g., searching for stuff to record when scheduling recordings) feels
faster to me.

Eric