[mythtv-users] Streaming MythTV recordings (MPEG-2) to an Xbox 360

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 20:28:07 UTC 2010

 > On 22 July 2010 16:21, Greg <greg12866 [at] nycap
 > <mailto:greg12866 [at] nycap>> wrote:
 >
 > On 07/22/2010 05:08 AM, Vitani wrote:
 >> Good morning,
 >>
 >> For over a year I've been happily streaming my MythTV recordings
 >> from my Mythbuntu server to an Xbox "classic" which was running
 >> XBMC. I did this by setting up symbolic links with "pretty" names
 >> in a nicely organised TV folder directly to the MPEG-2 files in
 >> the MythTV recording folder.
 >>
 >> Now times have moved on a bit and I've "acquired" some HD content
 >> which I'd like to view on my TV as opposed to my PC, or by
 >> connecting my netbook to the TV so I bought myself a broken 360
 >> (the DVD drive doesn't work, but that's another story) with the
 >> intention of swapping one Xbox for another.
 >>
 >> I did my research before-hand and found out that the 360 does
 >> play MPEG-2, but I have since found out that it only does that
 >> through Windows Media Centre, not using uPnP/DLNA. Obviously as
 >> I'm using MythTV installing Windows on my server wasn't really an
 >> option, but a friend suggested running it in a VM. I tried this,
 >> and it worked (using a mapped drive from the Windows VM to a
 >> samba share on the host machine), but it was unusabley slow
 >> taking about a minute to become responsive after start up and
 >> then taking up to 30 seconds to respond to the OK button.
 >>
 >> So, my question today is has anyone done this and got it working?
 >> Do you have any advice? Are there options I haven't considered
 >> (which wont cost me more, the Mrs is already annoyed that I've
 >> spent £75 and she can't watch Eastenders atm)? Is there someway I
 >> could transcode these videos on the fly into another format the
 >> Xbox 360 supports? Shall I just cut my losses and revert back to
 >> the Xbox Classic with XBMC and miss out on HD?
 >>
 >> Cheers!

 > I use the PS3 media server..It also works on the xbox360... It
 > transcodes on the fly...
 >
 > http://ps3mediaserver.org It works in Linux and windows.
 >

 > Just installed PS3 Media Server (there's a nice deb package for Ubuntu
 > at http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5589
 > <http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5589> which make
 > it a piece of cake to install) and oh wow - it just works. Not only
 > does it just work, but I can play ISOs (although not with the menus)
 > and videos in archive files too! Playing DVD ISOs on a 360, wow! I
 > didn't think it was even possible :oD
 >
 > Thanks for the great tip Greg!

I have installed the PS3 Media Server on my mythbuntu 8.10 (0.21-fixes)
machine and I am trying to use it with a Sony TV that does UPnP/DLNA.  I
can get it to play ISOs and my recordings that I archived into
mythvideo.  When I try to play recordings from Myth's recording
directory, it either fails or displays garbage on the screen.  However,
if I first perform a lossless transcode on the recording file it will
play perfectly (this is how I made the recording archives in the
mythvideo directory).  These are HDHR ATSC MPEG2 recordings.  Is there
something funky about these that won't play directly to a Sony TV?  What
exactly might a lossless transcode be doing that makes the files play?

I do have an XBOX360, but I haven't had time to try that out yet.

Jay