[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 27 22:15:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM, David Rees <drees76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> So here's the deal: right now, don't buy any other SSD than the Intel ones, because as far as I can tell, all the other
>> ones are pretty much inferior to the much cheaper traditional disks, unless you never do any writes at all (and turn off
>> 'atime', for that matter)."
>
> There are a large number of SSDs that perform very well - you just
> need to do a bit of homework to make sure you get a good one.  OCZ
> Vertex/Agility drives (have 2 Vertexes myself they are FAST) for
> example are also very good.

I have both an OCZ Vertex and an Intel X25-M, both fantastic SSD, very
speedy. The X25-M is in my MacBook Pro, the Vertex is in my primary
frontend. Helps keep the noise down to a minimum, and lately, I have a
tendency to shut it down when not in use (not much to watch during the
summer). The thing boots lightning-fast. I've been eying an X25-V or
another 30G Vertex for my other frontend, and possibly a WD Silicon
Edge Blue for my thinkpad (which used to have the X25-M in it, and it
misses having an SSD, but then again, I have umpteen source trees on
it these days, so I'd need a relatively huge (and expensive) SSD to be
practical).

Anyway. Don't know that I'd bother with an SSD for my backend, but I'm
definitely a fan of a small one for frontend boxes. USB sticks are too
slow and unsightly for my taste.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com