[mythtv-users] problem with Greek characters in storage group paths

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 27 22:29:58 UTC 2010

  On 07/27/2010 03:57 PM, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
> Well, I've spent the last two days trying to isolate the problem.
>
> It turns out there were more than one:
>
> I think the conversion of the non-ascii storage group path relates to
> #8530, but it only creates problem if the top storage group folder
> includes non-ascii characters. Subfolders are scanned ok.

So we /do/ have a user trying to use non-ASCII characters in a SG path.  :)

Can you apply and test the attached patch, please?  I don't have a setup
that would allow me to test it, but I'm pretty sure it should fix all
the issues related to the utf8_bin collation.

If you can give it a thorough testing, I'll commit it.  By "thorough
testing," I mean adding a non-ASCII directory using the Storage
Directories section in mythtv-setup, and verifying that the editor still
shows the directory path properly when you exit and re-enter; making
sure that the storage group path is correct in the backend status page (
http://<hostname>:6544/ )--note that it may not display correctly due to
HTML encoding issues, but if you look at the source of the HTML, it
should probably have the proper characters; and testing the access to
the storage directories

> the command:
>
> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
>
> on my old database was giving me:
>
> Server characterset:    latin1
> Db     characterset:    latin1
> Client characterset:    utf8
> Conn.  characterset:    utf8
>
> whilst the newly created in opensuse 11.2
>
> Server characterset:    utf8
> Db     characterset:    utf8
> Client characterset:    utf8
> Conn.  characterset:    utf8
>
> I included in my /etc/my.cnf under [mysqld]
> default-character-set=latin1
> character_set_server=latin1
>
> and fixed that part (of course, I recreated the database)

Yeah, please make sure you have a known-good database schema when you
test.  If you have done any schema changes at all, it will break
things.  If you have data that you need to recover from an old database
(recording information or history), please let me know and I'll give you
more information on how to recover that information into a good
database.  If you're just getting started, just creating a new database
would work.

> Now, the main problem that I am still facing, and for which I would
> appreciate any help, is that the backend cannot scan video folders
> that include non-ascii subfolders or files but only when it is started
> by the /etc/init.d/mythbackend script.
>
> If I start mythbackend as the mythtv user or root, and start
> mythfrontend on another terminal, everything is perfectly ok and the
> database gets updated with the videos.
>
> I scanned some old tickets (including one of mine) and came accross
> #7487. I think it is very similar to that.
>
> Here is a very small part of the log (mythfrontend -v all) that shows
> what the frontend reads in the folders. It actually creates
> incremental paths with tens of '/' until it stops and starts on the
> next file. It's almost fun to watch!

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/439348#439348

Thanks for the reminder to fix storagegroup.dirname access (and for the
testing :).

Mike