[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Jul 28 02:53:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> If your laptop needs more storage than SSD's can affordably offer,
>> have a look at the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drives. Not as fast as a
>> proper SSD, but it ought to speed up boot times a fair bit.
>
> Saw at least one review that said the hybrid drive wasn't any faster
> than a much cheaper 7200rpm 2.5" conventional Seagate drive. I did
> consider one of those.

Quite comprehensive Anandtech coverage here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seagates-momentus-xt-review-finally-a-good-hybrid-hdd
- basically it's good for boot times, plus load times of a few
selected applications. Hopeless for random read/write. I'm seriously
considering one for my laptop, because it takes an age to boot, but I
don't do anything particularly disk intensive once it's up and going.

>> I was considering going to an SSD in my frontends, but Lucid boots
>> pretty damn quick anyway, so I didn't bother. I do use an X25-V in my
>> desktop machine - it's a subtle difference, in that it makes the
>> computer act like you expected it to in the first place, but Firefox
>> opening instantly is a particularly nice feature.
>
> My solution for that last one is to simply not use Firefox. :)

I have about 5 extensions that I just can't do without, although the
list is getting shorter. I'd use Chrome if only the interface were a
bit more flexible - basically, I want fullscreen mode but with the
Tabs bar always visible. I can do that in Firefox, but not in Chrome,
and certainly not in Opera.

> I *would* love to get a mac mini server, replace the two disks in it
> with a pair of X25-E drives and use that as a workstation in the
> office though...

You must be chronically short on deskspace ;o) I have a
one-size-fits-all approach to workstations at the moment - it's less
than an i5 750? Too slow. More? Too expensive. Keeps things very
simple!

I might shut up now, before I clutter up this list even more than usual....

- Chris