[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

olx69 ope-linux at gmx.de
Wed Jul 28 12:17:39 UTC 2010

On 27.07.2010 21:16, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm seeing 40GB SSDs for around $100.
>>>
>>> 40GB is enough for an OS and Myth itself (not video storage).
>>>
>>> So far I can't see anything that would justify using an SSD, but perhaps
>>> someone else can.
>>>
>> I doubt you'll find a good justification, mythtv simply won't see much, if
>> any, benefit running on an SSD.
>>
> I'd have to disagree here.  I had originally installed my myth system
> on 32-bit hardware and later replace it with a 64-bit CPU without
> upgrading the OS.  When I finally decided to go 64-bit on the software
> side, it seemed easiest to install onto a new drive.  I got a 30GB OCZ
> Vertex Turbo SSD to hold the OS and mysql database, but mounted /home,
> /var/lib/myth*, and a bunch of other such stuff from my existing
> magnetic disk.
>
> It's working well.  It boots *much* faster and (while I haven't done
> any explicit benchmarks), stuff that does random reads on the database
> (e.g., searching for stuff to record when scheduling recordings) feels
> faster to me.

I agree, I'm using a Supertalent LE 32G
(http://www.supertalent.com/products/ssd_detail.php?type=UltraDrive)
now 1 year old - on a Intel C2D E8400 on Asus P5KSE (Intel P35) Board in
a Zalman HD160XT Plus Chassis. For
bulk storage I'm using a green HDD (WD 2TB)

There is a BE and FE on this machine using ACPI soft off to reduce power
consumption. This requires a fast boost
process. All DB operations are really fast, faster than USB; also OS
updates. Booting is faster than on my Q95550
and Samsung F2 500GB (5000 1/min). Forget about USB sticks here from
performance point of view.

As you may assume, I use this for transcoding of records also. This
means I'm working in /var/tmp - on a solid state
disk, even using sometimes a little of 512MB of swap (on SDD) even I'm
spend the box 4GB on my 32bit Mythbuntu
(I know - what a waste, therefore I'm able to address ~3,2GB only, to be
fixed later on next year)

Anyway, if this would be a 24/7 machine, means booting once a year, a
USB stick may be sufficient, expect for all
DB and other operations. Another option may be a newer SATA 2,5"
notebock HD which is cheaper. If you have
~100$ spend it for the SDD on the use case I've described here - my
recommendation.

Regards,
Olaf