[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 28 16:34:21 UTC 2010

>> Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
>> >Hi, all. I hope it is OK to post this question here. I have posted
>> >to Ubuntu forums and to Nvidia forums, and gotten no answer either
>> >place. I am at my wits' end as to how to solve this problem so
>> >that I can use MythTV.
>> >
>> >I'm trying to get my desktop to output to my TV as a second
>> >display (for MythTV viewing).
> Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
>> So last night I shut down my computer, unplugged the LCD monitor, and
>> rebooted with only the TV attached. Success -- it came up with the
>> display showing on the TV! (This also means that the problem does not
>> have to do with different ohm loads.)
>>
>> However, I do need to have the LCD work as well, because this computer
>> is my desktop, not a dedicated MythTV box.
>>
>> I rebooted with the LCD plugged back in and was back to square one. So
>> at this point I seem to only be able to have one work at a time.
>>
>> I also checked BIOS settings. There is a display setting which is
>> currently set to "PCI." Other options are "PCI-E" and "Onboard." Not
>> sure if I should try one of those? I don't actually know what the
>> different options mean.
>>
>> I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 (my previous email had said
>> 9.04). Graphics card is an nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE].
>>
>> Is it time to try xorg.conf hacking? I hope not.
>>
>> Jessica

Once the TV was up did you plug the LCD back in? It's ok to hot swap
monitors...
Now that you have both working, run sudo nvidia-settings and configure
the layout you want. TV will probably be screen0 so switch them around
so LCD is screen0 and TV is screen1. I'd use dual xscreens but if you
want to try TwinView, go for it.
Write the settings to a xorg.conf and now you have a base to start tweaking.
Always make a backup copy of xorg.conf before making changes so you can
fall back to it if the changes don't work.
I sometimes had a dozen copies before I got one that worked the way I
wanted.