[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jul 28 19:11:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:00:13PM -0600, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>

> > I've never known Linus to push hardware, at least not since the 90s when he
> > recommended the Alpha CPU, and we all know how
> > that turned out in the end.

   It turned out badly but it was the best thing going at the time.

   I knew someone with a larger server project that pretty much depended on
the extra horsepower that Alpha brought to the table. The more favored option
at the time simply didn't have a large enough chassis to deliver enough CPU
power for the application.

   Alpha had a 4:1 speed advantage.

> Alpha was quite good at the time. Too bad they faded into obscurity. They
> even got Windows support in some versions of NT.

[deletia]