[mythtv-users] Installing alsa-driver 1.0.23 - what did I miss?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 29 04:42:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> Good idea....actually, I hadn't realized I was building the 141 modules
>>> and
>>> attempting to use them on the 99 release.  Anyhow,
>>>
>>> - installed kernel
>>> - already had kernel-devel
>>> - rebuilt and installed alsa, rebooted
>>>
>>> on reboot....no nvidia drivers found.
>>>
>>> Downloaded the drivers from the nvidia site.  Tried to reinstall them
>>> with
>>> "sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.15-pkg1.run"...it wants xserver stopped
>>> before
>>> installing.  Can't stop xserver.  :)  This is  actually kind of comical.
>>>
>>> - ssh'ed in >  init 3
>>> - installed drivers
>>> - init 5 > logged in
>>>
>>> [root at vanson Downloads]# cat /proc/asound/version
>>> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
>>> Compiled on Jul 27 2010 for kernel 2.6.32.16-141.fc12.i686 (SMP).
>>>
>>> OK, I've got the driver in!  Did a quick try of the HDMI sound...still
>>> not
>>> working, but that's for another nite.  By the way, is there a way to get
>>> the
>>> 99 source so I can build it without doing the new kernel?
>>>

>> Sure, can just grab it out of the Fedora build system. Quick version
>> is "go here":
>>
>> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.32.11/99.fc12/
>>
>> However, what exactly is wrong with 141 that is preventing you from
>> using that instead? (3rd-party repos are mostly going to have kernel
>> module packages that target the latest kernel, not one that is
>> relatively old now...).
>>

> There's probably nothing wrong with the newer kernel (other than it's
> different).  You can probably tell I've been doing all this on a test box,
> but I really want to put the newer video board into my main, in-service
> MythTv box.  But, once I have a MythTv box into production (translation -
> the family is using it), I rarely mess with it....it's a self preservation
> thing.

Yup, I've got test kit too, the family rely on the "production" setup
too much (and have for years now). :)

> I was hoping to sneak this into the main box with as little impact as
> possible.  I usually consider a kernel upgrade to be a fairly big deal, not
> because of the kernel, but everything else in the distro
> (point-in-case...nvidia drivers).  I may end up using 141 after all; it
> seemed fairly painless.

In theory, within a stable series, kernel upgrades should be fairly
painless -- i.e., 2.6.33.x to 2.6.33.x+1 and so on, stuff like the
nvidia drivers (or any other out-of-tree driver) generally shouldn't
have much potential for breakage. The big upgrade headaches come more
when updating to a new kernel base, i.e., 2.6.33 to 2.6.34, etc.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com