[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jul 29 14:13:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> The quick answer is...put the money into a small 7200 rpm drive
> for the boot/db disk for the best performance. If noise is a concern
> a second 5000 rpm drive for the boot/db disk would be a better
> option than an SSD.

I couldn't disagree more.

> I've found that SSD drives are highly variable in their write speeds.

It may be true, but for the OS/db disk, read operations outnumber
write operations by many to one, and you just won't get the kind of
low latency read you can get from an SSD with a 7200 rpm drive.

I really don't care how long mythfilldatabase takes.  I'm not sitting
there watching it.  I care how quickly the guide pops up and how
quickly I can locate recordings and other such things, and all of this
is about random read performance, which is where the SSD is king.

Eric