[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 29 15:41:50 UTC 2010

Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:26:20PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > As far as I can recall, the 61xx Nvidia devices do not support
>> > multiple devices where one is TV-out.  They may support dual monitor
>> > modes for combinations of VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI monitors, but it's
>> > either TV-out or no TV-out.
>>
>> The readme file is very long but very informative.
>>
>> on ubuntu systems it is at /usr/share/doc/nvidia-current/README.txt.gz
>
> OK, so the README appears to contradict Craig's assertion that TV-out is
> all or nothing:
>
>  NVIDIA GPU-based graphics cards with a TV-Out connector can use a
>  television as another display device (the same way that it would use a
>  CRT or digital flat panel). The TV can be used by itself, or in
>  conjunction with another display device in a TwinView or multiple X
>  screen configuration. If a TV is the only display device connected to
>  your graphics card, it will be used as the primary display when you
>  boot your system (i.e. the console will come up on the TV just as if it
>  were a CRT).
>
> ...although it is possible that the 6150s are an exception, I guess.
>
> It looks like it is time for me to try to mess with xorg.conf directly,
> using the information in this file. I will take a shot at it (and report
> back with problems, I am sure). Thanks so much for all the information,
> everyone.
>
> Jessica

If you can get an xorg,conf from nvidia-settings that has something
other than "Generic bla..." for each device, you can use that info to
build your custom xorg.
Otherwise, you'll need the refresh rates and resolutions for the LCD and
some custom settings for your TV.
LCD is easy, all the specs are published.
TV is harder since consumers are rarely interested in these settings.
Example: The picture on my TV was blue using component input unless I
had "TVStandard" HD480i in xorg. Had to dig through the manual to find
that bit of info.
The sections you'll need to have in xorg.conf are "ServerLayout",
"Device", "Monitor", and "Screen"