[mythtv-users] Permission problem on /dev/video 0-3

mythtv.t.wuuza at xoxy.net mythtv.t.wuuza at xoxy.net
Thu Jul 29 15:44:31 UTC 2010

> The udev rules made it:
> crw-rw-rw- root video
>
> But again non of this fixes mythbackend running correctly on bootup. I
have
> to VNC/SSH in and restart the backend, but once I do it works fine.

I started having a similar problem a couple of days ago after getting
kernel and myth updates among others, using Mythbuntu 10.04 with
autobuilds.  I have not noticed the problem on boot but rather on resuming
from suspend.  I already had a pm-suspend script that runs on resume to
make sure myth works, so I added some logging to see what was going on
with /dev/video*.  Apparently something changed in the timing because
/dev/video1 (I force start at 1) for my PVR150 is owned root:root at
first, and only after a few seconds (anywhere from 2-6) does udev change
the ownership to root:video with rw for the group.  I have ivtv in the
list of modules for pm-suspend to unload/reload, which is presumably why
/dev/video* needs to be set up on resume, but I'm not sure what other
parts changed that affected the timing.  In my resume script I am forced
to bounce the backend anyway because of firewire capture, so my fix was to
loop until the video group appears on /dev/video1 before restarting the
backend, enabling the backend sees the input with the correct permissions.

John