[mythtv-users] USB dvb-s(2) devices and multirec

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 19:27:03 UTC 2010

On 29 July 2010 12:01, Herman Gerritsen <lfsmailing at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hestitate in buying any usb dvb-s(2) devices since I cannot discover
> if multirec on usb devices is supported like it is on some PCI
> devices. Does anyone have experience with this?

If a DVB tuner can pass the received transport stream to a consuming
application, multirec can be used. If the DVB tuner PID-filters the
stream to pass only a single program, multirec cannot be used as the
application will only see a single program stream.

PCI tuners have sufficient bandwidth to pass the whole transport
stream, whereas early USB 1.1 tuners did not and PID-filtered the
transport stream. USB 2.0 (and later) DVB tuners have sufficient
bandwidth to pass the whole stream - whether they do or not is down to
how each device was designed and implemented. All of the PCI DVB-T/S
tuners I've tried at home (admittedly a small sample) have supported
multirec. I don't have any DVB-S2 to test.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott