[mythtv-users] Using Fibre link to extend IR??

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Thu Jul 29 22:23:10 UTC 2010

On 07/29/10 15:42, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I have been renovating, and the mythbox has been living in the
> furnace-room, where it is now on the far side of a sheet of drywall. The
> Logitech DiNovo wireless (radio or bluetooth??) based keyboard works
> well (so long as I hold it vertically!), but of course, the iMon remote
> does not.
>
> Does anyone know if a kludge of using a fibre link (TOS-link) or some
> other similar item, can channel an IR signal to an otherwise not visible
> IR receiver.
>
> A quick google did not seem to retrieve anything likely. Then again, I
> probably used the wrong search terms.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> To further explain: I need some sort of receiving end/item in the rec
> room, and in effect, a IR-blaster on the mythbox, to repeat the signal.
> Not exactly a blaster however, since the signal does not originate from
> a computer.

(trying this again from my actual subscribed email address)

Not sure about fibre for transport (seem overkill as far as bandwidth).
 However, maybe one of these will help:

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Remotes_IR_Repeaters/IR_Repeaters/_/5/1Rj/nav.aspx

There are many different styles.  Personally, I've used one of these:

http://www.smarthome.com/83608/Channel-Vision-All-In-One-IR-System-IR-5000/p.aspx

in a theatre room at work to control a receiver in the next room.

I'm not affiliated with SmartHome - they just have some cool stuff.  I'm
sure that you can get these kind of things at other places.  The thing
to google would probably be "IR Repeater".

--
Matt White
Arts and Science IT
whitem at artsandscience.usask.ca