[mythtv-users] Permission problem on /dev/video 0-3

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 23:44:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:01 AM,  <mythtv.t.wuuza at xoxy.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to do this in rc.local, i have a loop on my laptop to
> wait
>> until iwconfig has an ip address and then mount -a, because samba was
> not
>> mounting my shares correctly because the wireless took so long to get an
> ip
>> address. So would love a way to wait for mythbackend to start, or
> restart
>> mythbackend once mythfrontend is running.
>
> I don't know.  I'm not all that familiar with this stuff, especially since
> things have been changing recently (like upstart).  If he's got a default
> Mythbuntu install then mythtv-backend is an upstart job.  You could write
> another upstart job that does the checking loop, and then modify the
> mythtv-backend job to depend on that one (ie add it to "start on" stanza).
>  Writing the upstart job is easy - I have one in there that calls the same
> firewire primer script as my sleep/resume script does.  In Kubuntu 8.04
> there was an issue where the backend started before networking was fully
> loaded and it never found my HDHomeRun.  For that I just took the easy
> route and put a "sleep 10" in the backend init script, so that would be
> another easy option.

I suspect the backend is starting before the pvr module is loaded, and
the permission denied message is because the device nodes simply are
not there.

Add a delay to the backend startup script, or restart the backend in
/etc/rc.local.

Supposedly upstart should be able to create a situation where it says
"start the backend after the following modules have loaded" - but the
mythbuntu engineers do not seem to be able to get it to work like
that. (of course everyone has different "modules" that need to  load
first)