[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 01:41:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
<jphekman at arborius.net> wrote:
> It appears to be an ASUS M2NC51-AR motherboard and the video card is
> "integrated," which I assume must mean it is on the motherboard. (The
> machine is an HP slimline 3020n.) I'm having trouble finding detailed
> specs for this motherboard with any information about how I can expect
> tv-out to work, though.
>
> As I mentioned in a previous post, there does not seem to be a DVI
> connector on the graphics card, so the option of switching my monitor to
> that doesn't seem to be available. :(
>
> I guess I am suspecting that what you are warning about is in fact the
> case, but I probably should make some effort to try to get it working
> just in case it actually will support out to TV + monitor simultaneously
> -- since my other option is buying a new computer, right? I am dreading
> the xorg.conf hacking, though, so if anyone has insights about the ASUS
> M2NC51-AR motherboard, they would be welcomed.
>
> You guys have been so helpful. I really appreciate it.
>
> Jessica

 I have a similar HP. It is a Slimline s3020f (AFAIR) with a M2N61-AR
motherboard with the onboard 6150. My system does not have any TV-Out
on the MB. I have found very little information regarding the MB. It
is made by ASUS, but there is almost no documentation on HP's site and
none from Asus. I wanted HDMI, so I put a GeForce 9500 in and I run
dual monitors (1 VGA @ 1680x1050 and a HDMI LCD TV @ 1920x1080). I
know you do not need a better video card, but I found the VDPAU
deinterlacers much better than the software ones available in Myth
0.21. (software de-int may be better now) I would recommend you
upgrade the video card. My system has a PCI-E slot and a PCI slot. The
PCI slot was populated by a video input card that lacks any Linux
drivers. I removed it and my video card takes up both half hight slots
(1 for the card and 1 for the extra connections). You can even get a
fanless GeForce 8400 that will do TV-Out + another monitor. Of course
if you think you may want HDMI w/ audio in the future I would get a
9500 or better for 1080i material.

One last caveat, one of my fanless 8400 cards will not fit in this
system. It has a heatsink that wraps over the card. To fit that card I
had to remove the CD-ROM drive. My 9500 card has a fan, but I am
unable to hear it over the CPU fan.

Cheers,
James