[mythtv-users] SAA7134 Composite Input Recording

Rob Clive rob at r2g2.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:51:22 UTC 2010

I've searched just about everywhere to try and find an answer to this
one and hope someone in this group can help.

I have SAA7134 based pci capture card connected to my Sky UK box
composite output.  Channel changing is done via a hacked magic eye
adaptor connected to a serial port and works well.  As does audio via
bus transfers.

What doesn't work so well is the video recording itself.  If I view the
input using xawtv it looks fine, even good (for composite) but if I use
MythTV then something is seriously wrong.  Occasionally it's right but
mostly the colours are incorrect, tending more towards muddy brown /
green.  What is really strange is there's a red ghost image which was
clearly acquired during one of the brief correct captures.  Since this
sometimes an advert it can be very disconcerting.  It's almost as if the
capture is not using the entire range of colours and leaving something
in the buffer.  I've checked and rechecked the setup, made sure PAL-I is
selected but there's nothing really to change.  I did wonder if it's the
effect of a Macrovision anti-copying system but I don't think Sky use it
all the time do they?

Anyone got any ideas on what I'm undoubtedly doing wrong?

Rob Clive