[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 30 15:27:43 UTC 2010

On Friday, July 30, 2010 09:07:28 am bhaskins wrote:

> IMHO YMMV shared memory is a nasty performance hit.
> I have added video cards to several systems and the users have often
> said it was like
> getting a new box.

Do you think this is due to RAM being taken away from the system, IOW, if you add extra RAM to make up for what the video
system is using would it be the same as if you were using a discreet card?

Or is it due to the video system not performing as well with shared RAM, as with a card, perhaps due to the RAM on the
card being faster than the system RAM?

Put another way, is the slowdown because of reduced RAM due to some of it being used for video, or is a shared RAM video
system simply not as fast as a discreet card, even with the same amount of RAM?

I realize I'm asking for an opinion, but if you have any hard numbers it would be interesting.