[mythtv-users] Permission problem on /dev/video 0-3

mythtv.t.wuuza at xoxy.net mythtv.t.wuuza at xoxy.net
Fri Jul 30 16:07:37 UTC 2010

> /usr/bin/service mythtv-backend restart

> But it still doesn't fix it. However, once X is loaded if i run same
> command it's fine.

Here's the script I use to delay until the udev permissions are set on my
tuner (ie group is video instead of root).  I post this because A) it
might help you and B) if anyone has a better way of doing this I'm
listening.  I'm a programmer but not a bash expert.  It seems like this
should be possible without a temp file but I couldn't get it to work and
it was getting late the night I was messing with it.  I'm sure there are
other ways to check permissions, too.

#!/bin/sh
while true; do
        find /dev/video1 -group video > /tmp/waitForVideo
        if [ `grep video1 /tmp/waitForVideo` ]; then
                break
        fi
        sleep 1
done