[mythtv-users] problem with Greek characters in storage group paths

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 19:16:16 UTC 2010

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:29:58 -0400
From: mtdean at thirdcontact.com
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] problem with Greek characters in storage group paths

    On 07/27/2010 03:57 PM, Yianni Vidalis wrote:

      Well, I've spent the last two days trying to isolate the problem.

      It turns out there were more than one:

      I think the conversion of the non-ascii storage group path relates
      to #8530, but it only creates problem if the top storage group
      folder includes non-ascii characters. Subfolders are scanned ok.

    So we /do/ have a user trying to use non-ASCII characters in a SG
    path.  :)

    Can you apply and test the attached patch, please?  I don't have a
    setup that would allow me to test it, but I'm pretty sure it should
    fix all the issues related to the utf8_bin collation.

    If you can give it a thorough testing, I'll commit it.  By "thorough
    testing," I mean adding a non-ASCII directory using the Storage
    Directories section in mythtv-setup, and verifying that the editor
    still shows the directory path properly when you exit and re-enter;
    making sure that the storage group path is correct in the backend
    status page ( http://<hostname>:6544/ )--note that it may not
    display correctly due to HTML encoding issues, but if you look at
    the source of the HTML, it should probably have the proper
    characters; and testing the access to the storage directories

      the command:

      mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'

      on my old database was giving me:

      Server characterset:    latin1

      Db     characterset:    latin1

      Client characterset:    utf8

      Conn.  characterset:    utf8

      whilst the newly created in opensuse 11.2

      Server characterset:    utf8

      Db     characterset:    utf8

      Client characterset:    utf8

      Conn.  characterset:    utf8

      I included in my /etc/my.cnf under [mysqld]

      default-character-set=latin1

      character_set_server=latin1

      and fixed that part (of course, I recreated the database)

    Yeah, please make sure you have a known-good database schema when
    you test.  If you have done any schema changes at all, it will break
    things.  If you have data that you need to recover from an old
    database (recording information or history), please let me know and
    I'll give you more information on how to recover that information
    into a good database.  If you're just getting started, just creating
    a new database would work.

    Now, the main problem that I am still facing, and for
      which I would appreciate any help, is that the backend cannot scan
      video folders that include non-ascii subfolders or files but only
      when it is started by the /etc/init.d/mythbackend script.

      If I start mythbackend as the mythtv user or root, and start
      mythfrontend on another terminal, everything is perfectly ok and
      the database gets updated with the videos.

      I scanned some old tickets (including one of mine) and came
      accross #7487. I think it is very similar to that.

      Here is a very small part of the log (mythfrontend -v all) that
      shows what the frontend reads in the folders. It actually creates
      incremental paths with tens of '/' until it stops and starts on
      the next file. It's almost fun to watch!

    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/439348#439348

    Thanks for the reminder to fix storagegroup.dirname access (and for
    the testing :).

    Mike

No, It is I that thank you for this great program.

Yes, the patch works correctly!!! The non-ascii storage folder is visible, editable and erasable in mythtv-setup, even after exiting and re-entering.

And, the status page (which I hadn't tried before, relying on mythweb) shows it flawlessly.

Please feel free to commit it if the user test - base isn't too small!

Now, if you happen to know why I cannot still scan non-ascii subfolders when I start mythbackend from the /etc/init.d script .......
(it works perfectly from a shell or if I call it in /var/share/xsessions as a display manager together with the frontend)
Any opensuse guru out there???

Thanks again,

Yianni.