[mythtv-users] Pace RNG110 w/ Firewire

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 22:46:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Jamin W. Collins <jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
> wrote:

> Has anyone had success using firewire with a Pace RNG110?  I've searched
> the lists and seen a few posts[1] regarding it, but nothing really
> indicating success.
>
> So far, I can reliably (from the little testing I've done) change channels
> using the 6200ch binary.  Like the referenced post, I can get mythprime to
> succeed if I specify channel changer 1 or 2.
>
> However, even when mythprime succeeds, both firewire_tester and test-mpeg2
> fail.
>
> I've tried two different systems, with two different firewire interfaces,
> and two different firewire cables (one 6 pin, one 4 to 6 pin).
>
> [1] - http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-March/284056.html

Hi Jamin,
I have had a little bit of success getting firewire through the RNG110
working.  The biggest problem for me was actually the firewire stack in the
kernel.  I found that the older stack (on older versions of fedora) didn't
allow recording.  However, updating to a more recent distribution (I think
Fedora 11 or higher) did.  Can you try creating a live usb of the latest
fedora to run test-mpeg2?  It worked for me and was a good testing platform
.
My only other problem was that there was a bug in the driver for a certain
firewire chip (I think it was one of the TI chips) that caused random
failures on x86-64.  I think it might be fixed in FC13.  As a result, I
would recommend that you try the i386 version of the distribution to verify
that things work and then slowly graduate to x86-64 (if desired) and mythtv.
Good luck,
-Greg