[mythtv-users] We can rule out PulseAudio

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jul 31 00:45:53 UTC 2010

On 07/30/2010 09:08 AM, Mark Adams wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 11:38 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>> Uninstall pulse and try again
> Okay, on the assumption that you know more about this than they do, I
> removed pulse audio with "rpm -e --nodeps pulseaudio". Results were not
> as dire as last time, so I tried watching recorded content in MythTV. No
> audio.

<snip>
> I checked the audio settings in setup and found them set to defaults
> that worked just fine until MythTV stopped playing audio.
>
> No harm, but no progress either.
>
> I am very interested in hearing any other ideas.
>
> Mark

I don't think you can remove *every* piece of pulse. Somewhere/somewhen,
I saw a comment that alsa now needs the pulseaudio-libs. So I ended up
with the following chunk of script in my 'dependencies' script (the
whole thing is on the wiki...now a little out of date, but not too badly).

This is for FEDORA...but probably only needs some name changes to work
on other distros. So maybe you should try a 'yum install pulse*' and
then run this ( with only the fedora Everything and updates repos
enabled *and no others* (hence the '-y --nogpgcheck'):

  echo "          ********************************* "
  echo "          Install alsa audio files"

  yum -y --nogpgcheck install alsa-firmware \
                 alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel alsa-tools \
                 alsa-tools-firmware alsa-utils  alsamixergui
  echo ""
  echo "          ********************************* "
  echo ""
  echo ""
  echo "         Now remove pulse audio files mythtv does not need"
  echo ""
  echo "         Do NOT use 'remove pulseaudio*' as this will remove
pulseaudio-libs"
  echo "         which will kill gdm and other core programs."
  echo ""
  yum -y remove pulseaudio alsa-plugins-pulseaudio pavucontrol \
                pulseaudio-utils gstreamer-plugins-pulse \
                pulseaudio-core-libs akode-pulseaudio
  echo ""
  rm -rf /etc/pulse
  rm -rf /root/.pulse*