[mythtv-users] Struggling with Diskless clients on Ubuntu (probably OT)

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Jun 1 01:37:54 UTC 2010

>> A very wild guess: is it normal that after dowloading the kernel the
>> client
>> sends another dhcp request.
>
> I think it is, the first request is from the pxe client, the other one
> is from the linux system. The linux system doesn't inherit the pxe's
> address.

pxe passes the IP address on the kernel command line so its normal to just
use that.

On Gentoo the magic is in /etc/conf.d/net which would contain something
like - at least that is what my 2 diskless systems use. It basically means
that the ethernet config is a no-op as the address is already known.

config_eth0=( "noop" "dhcp" )
routes_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.1.100" )

What it is in Ubuntu - who knows!!

--
Robin Gilks