[mythtv-users] directv.pl recently stopped working

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Jun 1 12:12:59 UTC 2010

On 05/31/2010 09:26 PM, Brent Norris wrote:
> I really have no idea why it would have but it did.  Whenever I send a
> command I get this following:
>
> [root at Diablo bin]# /usr/local/bin/directv.pl port /dev/ttyUSB0 box_type
> RCA_OLD verbose setup_channel 250
> SEND: 0xFA [] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> SEND: 0xFA [] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> SEND: 0xFA [] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> SEND: 0xFA [] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> Error excessive retries
>

> What is really interesting is that if I turn the receiver off, sending a
> change will power it on, but it never changes the channel. If I send on
> or off to the box that seems to work, so I think it is at least getting
> part of the command, but something has went haywire on it. I am using a
> usb->serial adapter, but I have been using it for a least a couple years
> now, and I tried it with another exact same model that I had and it
> still failed.
>
> The adapter has a orange LED on it that illuminates, after I run the
> script and I have never seen that before. Any one have any insight into
> anything else I can try or look at that might help me figure out what
> has happened?

I can think of two things to try, in order to narrow down the root cause:

1. Temporarily swap out your settop top box with another one, and see if
the problem persists.

If the other settop box still results in the same error, then

2. Temporarily connect a serial modem to your USB->serial adapter, and
see if you can communicate with the modem over the serial port.