[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 05:37:52 UTC 2010

Hi

On 2 June 2010 14:57, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas.....I should have been a bit clearer about how I
> was doing it before.
>
> In my .22 setup I had added commands to .lircrc to allow the master
> volume to be controlled using a combination of irexec commands via
> pulseaudio, there is a specific lirc-pulseaudio module.
>
> So in effect my .22 setup did this.
>
> Mythtv --> Alsa Default --> Pulseaudio --> spdif out to Amp.

There has been no fundamental change on the audio architecture between
0.22 and 0.23 except that if you are using a surround setup with
digital audio, you know set it to 5.1 instead of stereo.

So your configuration should be the same as it was before....

If it broke, you modified something else and that's not in mythtv.

> Did people have to tweak anything to get alsa default or pulseaudio
> default working?

pulse native support is broken in myth, less so than in 0.22 but it's
still broken...
when you start myth, if you are using ALSA output, the pulse server is
suspended.
If you don't want the pulse server to be suspended.
Set the environment variable: DEBUG_PULSE_AUDIO_ALSA_EMULATION before
starting mythfrontend
this prevents myth from suspending pulse.

You shouldn't have to change anything to have it working like it used to