[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:21:18 UTC 2010

Hi

On Wednesday, June 2, 2010, Jim Hendry <hendryjh at gmail.com>
> As far as I can tell the only way to control optical volume is with pulseaudio (or esd/arts). ALSA does not seem to have a mechanism for controlling master/pcm volume for S/PDIF.

Course there is.

As mentioned in this thread and many times before. If using spdif  or
digital audio, you can make myth control the volume by setting the
mixer device to "software".

Why use pulse that will completely mess the quality of the output?

Pulse only ever make sense on a PC if you are using this PC for
running other application than mythtv , at the same time as mythtv and
that also requires audio output.
And maybe when you want to output audio on another PC.

In all other cases, ALSA is the best solution for mythtv and I can't
see what functionality pulse would provide that myth can't already do.

JY