[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:44:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Pulse only ever make sense on a PC if you are using this PC for
>> running other application than mythtv , at the same time as mythtv and
>> that also requires audio output.
>> And maybe when you want to output audio on another PC.
>>
>> In all other cases, ALSA is the best solution for mythtv and I can't
>> see what functionality pulse would provide that myth can't already do.
>
> I don't have any specific disagreements, but the only exception, if it
> can be called that, for me would be if Myth would un-suspend PA when
> an EXEC is called so things that use pulseaudio like Hulu Desktop
> would work properly without having to have pulseaudio enabled all the
> time via environment variable.

As I see it the most robust solution would have mythfrontend only
suspend pulseaudio when mythfrontend needs to output audio (playback
of recordings/mythvideo/mythmusic/mythgame).  When mythfrontend is
sitting in a menu pulseaudio should be running so I can <alt><tab> and
run something else without exiting mythfrontend.

With that said I recognize there are already options to workaround the
current limitations and the new audio code for 0.24 might already
solve the root problem.

-Ryan