[mythtv-users] Recomedations

Jason Ward jasonfward at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:17:26 UTC 2010

So after my abortive flirtation with Miro my backend has become only
recording some programs, some programs it just seems to ignore at the point
of recording them and others it says it recording but no recording every
appears just an entry in the list of things to watch.

I'm thinking of reinstalling from scratch, but I want to keep my recorded
programs, searches, what to record and addons stuff (but excluding anything
to do with miro).  Which sounds like a bit of partial backup and restore.

So a couple of questions

1) do people think there is a better way for me to investigate/cure my
problem of the recording/not recording?  If so what might it be?

2) if I am going to do a reinstall and backup/restore, what exactly are the
problems I might face?  I've read
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and it warns
against partial restores without giving any reason why, it does say that
a partial restore gives no benefits, but, I am assuming the setup and
configuration data is held in the DB, and I'm assuming its faults in that
data that are causing my problems...  if its not, then... well advice and
guidance if people can.

Thanks in advance for looking at this, and thanks to those yesterday that
tried to help me with miro.

Jason