[mythtv-users] running 2 separate FE/BE systems

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jun 5 16:08:45 UTC 2010

On 6/5/2010 10:42, Another Sillyname wrote:
> On 5 June 2010 15:04, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>
>> When you set up a backend, you store two settings in the database, the local
>> backend IP, and the master backend IP.  When the backend starts (and only
>> that one time when the backend starts), it will lookup its own hostname,
>> query the IP listed for that hostname, and then query the master IP.  If
>> those two match, it will act as the master on that MythTV system.  The ONLY
>> way that connecting your laptop to the network could make your laptop the
>> master is if you had some script that changed that master backend IP in the
>> database, and then restarted the first backend
> Or you've used the laptop against the 'real' backend at some point and
> the settings are still stored somewhere.

No.  The only way another machine could assume the duties of master is
that described above.

> Why not hardcode the ip address of the backend rather then using
> localhost, that should work.

I didn't even notice that when I first read through.  Database access
can have a hostname, but the local and master IPs must be IPs.  If you
use 'localhost' instead of '127.0.0.1', MythTV will not work properly.