[mythtv-users] How to shutdown combined fe/be machine from the front panel switch?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 7 02:08:22 UTC 2010

Another way is map a remote button to halt or reboot.

Depending on your remote (create a device for shutdown and related
functions only - e.g. a logitech harmony), or even by using a second
remote if you have one you can make it reasonably lUser proof :)

Not on mythbuntu but gentoo, I am using the lirc irexec function to grab
the signal before myth.

BillK

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 21:22 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I have mythbuntu (9.10/0.22) running on a combined fe/be machine.
> Occasionally, I would like to shut the whole thing down.  Typically,
> I've grabbed the laptop, ssh'ed in, and shut down from the command
> line.  I've decided that that is getting cumbersome (and is also
> problematic when I'm not home and I need to figure out how to tell my
> wife/family how to shut down.
>
> So I'd like it if we could shut this down by pressing the power button
> on the front of the box.
>
> Looking at the Settings>Power Management>General menu (the xfce menu,
> not a MythTV menu), I see 2 options: "Suspend" and "Hibernate" for the
> "When the power button is pressed" option.  Everything I've read says
> there should also be a "shut down" option.
>
> Did Mythbuntu disable the "shut down" option?
>
> Is there some way to turn it back on?
>
> Is there some reason I shouldn't turn that option back on?  (Keeping
> in mind that this is for very occasional use).
>
> --wpd

Home in Perth!